Babyshowers have their origin in ancient time. Like other things, the way and manner in which they are planned and celebrated have changed over time. Here are somethings that you should bear in mind when planning a babyshower today.
- Know the culture of the would be parents. Because babyshowers are steeped in tradition and customs, it is important to have a good idea of what is culturally acceptable by the would be parents and what is not. People do not necessarily throw away their culture because they live in modern times. Knowing the cultural limitations, makes the celebration more memorable and worthwile.
- Know the needs of the parents to be. It is pointless giving gifts that recepients can not use. Would be parents need things for the new baby and are probably stretched to their limits. It would be only worth their while if the gifts they get help to alleviate this burden. Where the gender of the baby is known in advance, give gifts that are gender appropriate.
- Know the best time to schedule your shower. As the hostess, it behooves you to know when to schedule the babyshower for maximum benefit and impact. Do not schedule your shower too early or too late. Expecting couples need all the financial help they can get. Scheduling a shower too late may mean that the couple had already bought all the things they need for the baby.
- Know the physical needs of the expecting mother. Pregnancy puts enormous physical challenges and demand on the expecting mother, especially if it is their first pregnancy. It is a good idea to locate the shower closer to home to avoid putting additional strain on an already over challenged mother to be.
- Know who is on your guest list. The success and failure of a babyshower to a certain extent depends on the attendace. How responsive is your list. Did you consult the couple when compiling your guest list. Remember this is their babyshower not your. You are only a vessel in the actualization of this event.
- Know your refreshment plan. Preparing for and feeding even the smallest group of poeple can quickly turn into a nightmare if no adequate plans are made for that. Set up a plan about what to serve and how to serve it and work your plan. Make room for emergencies that may arise.
- Know your plan for entertainment. What is your plan for entertainment? Do you have games that your guests can play? Board games and puzzles make for easy and entertaining games that your guests can play. You might want to organize some kind of poetry reading, depending on the mix of your guests. You can have guests come with their own poems written for the occassion to share with others.